Steelers

Conner: ‘I’m not playing … not to get hurt’

james-conner-pittsburgh-steelers-injury
[get_snippet]

To continue reading, log into your account:

[theme-my-login show_title=0]
James Conner. - MATT SUNDAY / DKPS

Don't call 2020 a comeback season for James Conner. Don't call it a contract year, either.

Conner isn't concerned with either one.

His goal for 2020 is a simple one. And it involves way more than just him.

"My goal is to win. I have the opportunity to do that. I’m going to go into training camp with this year’s team, a special team that we’ve got," Conner said Tuesday via a Zoom call. "We had some pieces that were out last year that are healthy. I’m really excited for the opportunity to win. I’m not playing for a contract or playing not to get hurt. I’m playing to win. It’s as simple as that. It’s about my visions of us and me being a part of Super Bowl No. 7 for this organization. I just want to be healthy and give it all for my teammates."

Conner is correct that the Steelers had some pieces missing in 2019. And while much of the focus has been on Ben Roethlisberger missing all but six quarters of the season with an elbow injury, it just as easily could be on Conner.

Coming off a Pro Bowl season in 2018, Conner missed six full games in 2019 with shoulder and knee injuries. More telling, he appeared in just six quarters in the team's final eight games last season, carrying the ball 19 times for 84 yards from Week 8 on.

He finished the season with 116 carries for 464 yards and four touchdowns, hardly the kind of production the team would have liked to have gotten from its lead running back.

Despite that, GM Kevin Colbert has continually expressed confidence that Conner will bounce back in 2020, the final season of his rookie contract.

As such, the Steelers didn't sign a veteran running back in free agency. Their only addition to their running back group was the selection of rookie Anthony McFarland in the fourth round of the draft.

"We have to prove it every day. I threw last year out. There’s nothing I can do to get last year back," Conner said. "I’m working every day as hard as possible to get be the best football player I can be. When I step on the field this year, I’m going to give it everything I have. That’s what my mindset is. I’m not trying to make it bigger than it is. All I can do is perform when I’m on the field. It’s not a comeback or anything like that. It’s be healthy and let’s go play football."

A healthy Conner would be a very welcome addition for the Steelers. He's missed time here and there throughout his career with injuries, including three games in 2018 with an ankle issue. But Colbert has been quick to note that Conner's issues have been traumatic injuries, not soft tissue problems such as pulled muscles.

And Conner has been training hard this offseason to make sure he's in the best shape in which he can be to handle a heavy workload.

"In this quarantine, since it started, I made a decision to each day try to get a little bit better and take advantage of this down time that we have," he said. "I’m going pretty hard. I’m working out a lot, about six times per week. I’m trying to stay active throughout the day and get stronger and live a healthy lifestyle."

The ultimate goal isn't about playing for that next contract or anything of the sort, as he mentioned. It's about winning. And as much as Conner will play a big part of that, so much depends on the health of Roethlisberger.

Conner has been one of the players working out with Roethlisberger this offseason as the quarterback continues to rehab his elbow.

"Just having him back there, we know what he is. It’s no secret," Conner said. "I know what type of person he is. He loves the game. For him to be back out there, we’re excited for it. He looks good. He looks strong. He looks determined, motivated, everything. We’re looking forward to it."

However that might look.

The Steelers, like other teams, are holding virtual meetings instead of on-field OTAs. It's something that might carry over into the season due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Conner is a cancer survivor. He overcame stage 2 Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2015 while at Pitt. That can have obvious effects on the immune system. But, just as he attacked his comeback from the illness, he's ready to attack 2020 without any fear.

"I’m 100 percent. I had a weak immune system four years ago. It’s not weak any more thank God," he said. "I’m OK. I’m young and I’m healthy. I’m not concerned. We’re going to play it safe, for sure. We’re not going to ignore it. But as far as me being safe or taking extra precautions, that was four years ago. My body is healed. When we follow our protocols and guidelines, I’ll be just fine."

Conner knows he didn't play his best in 2019. He's confident in his own ability to play football. Now, he just wants to put it all together. He's not troubled by his contract status or the fact the Steelers haven't approached him about an extension.

None of that matters.

"That’s the game. I want to do a lot more and give a lot more to this organization," Conner said. "I’m not concerned about the extension. I know I have another year left on my contract. I’m giving everything I’ve got for this year and we’ll see what happens after that. I’m just going to ball out, just play football to the best of my ability."

To continue reading, log into your account: